The National Bison Association is seeking proposals for auctioneer services for their 2020 Gold Trophy Show and Sale live animal auction that is held in conjunction with the National Western Stock Show in January of each year.
OBJECTIVE/PURPOSE The National Bison Association (NBA) based in Westminster, Colorado is a breed association of producers, processors, marketers and bison enthusiasts. Our mission is to bring together stakeholders to celebrate the heritage of American bison, to educate and to create a sustainable future for our industry.
As part of its mission, the NBA hosts a live animal show and sale in conjunction with the National Western Stock Show, hereafter referred to as the Gold Trophy Show and Sale (GTSS). The NBA is seeking auctioneer and breed representative services for this event. Interested parties should select and identify ONLY ONE of the three following options when submitting a bid:
Option A: Auctioneer only services for the Gold Trophy Show and Sale live animal auction on Saturday, January 25, 2020.
Option B: Breed Representative only services for the Gold Trophy Show and Sale live animal auction on Saturday, January 25, 2020.
Option C: A combination of both Option A and Option B, which will include at least one auctioneer and one breed representative person working as a team in the auction block.
The NBA Winter Conference takes place January 22-25, 2020 in Denver, Colorado at the Renaissance-Stapleton Hotel on Quebec Street. The GTSS live auction, which will tentatively include selling a small number of bison carcasses as well as live animals, will take place at the National Western Stock Show (NWSS) Auction Arena in Denver, Colorado on Saturday morning, January 25, 2020. The auction begins at 10:00 a.m. MST and could last up to 6 hours, depending on the number of animals consigned.
The NBA requests the services of an auctioneer or auction company (referred to as auctioneer from here on out) to fulfill the above described needs in January of 2020. The auctioneer will not be required to attend the NBA Winter Conference meetings in Denver, CO during the week of January 22-25, but would be encouraged to attend if possible.
• The auctioneer and/or breed representative is encouraged to attend the Friday night, January 24 awards banquet to familiarize himself/herself with the award winners and to meet and become familiar with the consignors and potential buyers.
• The auctioneer and/or breed representative are required to attend the Judge’s Comments on Saturday morning, January 25 at the National Western Stock Yards to familiarize themselves with buyers and consignors and prepare for the live auction later that morning.
• The auctioneer and/or breed representative are required to attend the live animal auction on Saturday morning, January 25. The auction begins at 10:00 am with opening remarks and then moves into the Market Class carcass auction, followed immediately by the live animal auction. Animals sell by class, with the auctioneer expected to announce winning animals, sponsors and consignor information. Clerking and cashiering is provided by the NWSS. Carcass and live animal auction can take up to 6 hours or more, depending on the crowd, bidding, flow of animals, etc. There are no breaks once the auction begins at 10:00 am. The auctioneer is also encouraged to provide one or two additional ring men for the live animal auction if desired.
• Auctioneer provides bid cards to the NWSS clerks for distribution at the live animal auction.
• It is recommended that the auctioneer have previous livestock auction experience.
• Sound equipment is provided by the NWSS.
The auctioneer should submit a proposal for payment for services performed based upon the above requirements. The payment can be stated as a flat fee or percentage of the live auction total, but should be stated as one fee for all required services. Proposed payment should include any out of pocket expenses that are expected to be reimbursed (mileage, hotels, etc.). Conference fees and up to two nights lodging will be waived by the NBA for up to two auctioneers for the conference activities. The NBA may negotiate with auctioneer on out of pocket expenses after auctioneer selection is complete.
PAST AUCTION TOTALS
Below are GTSS auction totals for the past five years to be used as a guideline for the pricing of any proposal.
2019 GTSS Live Animal and Carcass Auction - 100 head live; 21 carcasses. Sale Total was $423,688
2018 GTSS Live Animal and Carcass Auction - 136 head live; 18 carcasses. Sale Total was $649,078
2017 GTSS Live Animal and Carcass Auction - 94 head live; 25 carcasses. Sale Total was $559,363
2016 GTSS Live Animal and Carcass Auction - 102 head live; 32 carcasses. Sale Total was $439,497
2015 GTSS Live Animal and Carcass Auction - 74 head live; 19 carcasses. Sale Total was $357,333
Auctioneers shall identify relevant experience, technical skills and qualifications they deem appropriate to their ability to successfully undertake the proposed contract and meet all RFP objectives.
Interested auctioneers should submit their complete proposal no later than April 30, 2019. Submission can be submitted electronically or by mail. Submission will not be accepted later than April 30 and postal submission must be received by the April 30 deadline to qualify.
ACCEPTANCE OF BIDS
The National Bison Association reserves the right to accept or reject any or all bids received by April 30, 2019. Bids may be rejected if they do not meet the above requirements or are over budget. The bidding process may be reopened to qualified auctioneers if no acceptable bids are received in this first round of submissions.
Send to: Jim Matheson, Assistant Director
National Bison Association
8690 Wolff Court, #200 • Westminster, CO 80031
Phone: (303) 292-2833, ext. 101
Fax: (303) 845-9081